Monday, November 14, 2005

Then There Were Three

It seems I am now homeschooling three children instead of two. I never planned on homeschooling my oldest since he liked public school so much but thanks to the stupid rules here I haven't been left with much choice. If the school system here had it their way my son would be out of school for over a month and then once I actually COULD register him they would most likely hold him back next year for missing too many days. He is so smart that I just can't stand the thought of him being snuffed out educationally like that.

So I have been scrambling for a few weeks now trying to figure out HOW to homeschool a high schooler. I've been so afraid of messing up and holding him back that I swear I have another ulcer. LOL. Things are settling down now though and I'm starting to relax some thanks to the help of the local homeschool groups here. They have been wonderful and very helpful with information. BB is even trying out their Teen Group which has about 5 other teenagers in it.

At this point I've been letting Big BB (stands for Big Brother/Bubby) "deschool" so he can get out of the mindframe that the public school system puts kids in and he's enjoyed the mini vacation somewhat but he has been very bored. I've been having him do a daily journal writing, read the newspaper, discussing current events with him, and having him write me reports when we do a field trip. Soon we will be getting back into all the other subjects and anything else he would like to do. That part he's still getting use to. The fact that HE can choose what he would like to learn. I'm hoping it helps with the transition.

Sis is doing alright so far. We still have major problems with Math because she just out and out hates that subject. I've tried doing it in fun ways as well but she bulks and takes all day to finish one worksheet. :( It's very frustrating for both of us because there is so much else we can be doing and she chooses to just sit and stare at the same paper. The even bigger problem is that she is starting to do that with everything. I will ask her to simply write down things she would like to learn this year and she stresses about what to write, whether or not it's the right thing, if she's listing enough..... I have to keep telling her that there is no wrong answer, or correct number, or anything else. Just write what she WANTS to do. Poor kid.

She has started attending the homeschool park day each week and has met several other girls her own age which she really enjoys. We have to work on her speech some more though because I overheard a few of the girls making fun of her a little. It wasn't spiteful mocking but I know if she would have heard it would have hurt her feelings. She is also starting in SpiralScouts and seems to be excited about that as well.

We do have many field trips that we are taking with the other groups so that will give us new things to explore. It's also nice to be able to talk to other mothers and get a little adult interaction. So busy month ahead, then the Yule season, and then more busyness. :) Wish me luck and keep your fingers crossed that I can keep my sanity.

0 comments: