Tuesday, May 2, 2006

“Heathen” Fun and The Owl Girl

On Sunday, we went to a Beltane celebration at L’s house. To be honest, I didn’t know what to expect since we had never been to one before and since this was also mostly for the kids. As soon as we got there we joined everyone else at the rock labryinth. Before you entered L did a sage smudging and told you to think of what you want to accomplish this summer. Then you walked through the circular rock labryinth until you got to the middle. There milk and honey were left for the fairies, L asked all the kids questions about fairies, and everyone repeated a chant as they jumped over the “fire” (this was really just smoldering logs at this point). By jumping over the fire you were leaving behind the bad things holding you back. Then everyone reversed and walked back out of the labryinth.

It was honestly really neat and cute. Big B chose to sit in the van instead but Sissy enjoyed it and Lil Man had me carry him most of the time. After we came back out, the kids all had a water balloon fight. Sis and K’s son seemed to especially enjoy seeing who could soak who the most. Eventually Big B couldn’t resist anymore and he joined in the fun as well. All the little kids were screaming “get the black guy” (my son was wearing black) and I was just howling! Later he told me “Mom, I’m a very white person so why were they calling me the black guy?” and after laughing hysterically I told him, “Honey, the wonderful thing at that age is that they don’t see skin color. They were talking about your shirt”! He thought that was the neatest thing.

After the balloon fight the kids all gathered around the Maypole and L handed each of them a ribbon. Lil Man was about as in her face as a kid could get making sure she heard him say he wanted a yellow ribbon. She was so patient and eventually he did get his yellow ribbon. Of course, when it came time to actually dance around the Maypole the little bugger ditched me! I was left getting closelined by little people who couldn’t make it over the head of even a bent over 6′ tall woman! lol

L also showed them a trick with paper butterflies (balancing them on one finger) and gave each child a “Love Bug” which was a rock with a rainbow painted on it and googley eyes. Lil Man feel instantly in love with them and even stole Big B’s.

We had such a nice time and I am so glad we went. We all came home exhausted and in such a wonderful mood. I am also happy to report that we didn’t have a single sunburn including me! YAY!!

Who’s the Owl Girl you ask? Well that would be Sissy. The other day the neatest thing happened to her. Our new friend, K, is a Wildlife Rehabilitator which means she nurses back wildlife that is brought into their center. At any given time she could have several owls, hawks, falcons, and you name it. Well the other day she had a little Burrowing Owl and let Sis wear the glove and “hold” it. Within a minute or two the owl was standing calmly and just staring at Sis. Meanwhile my constantly fidgeting constantly talking daughter was completely calm and had the most beautiful look of content on her face that I have ever seen. It was truly an awesome experience even for K and I who were only watching Sis and the owl.

K informed me that the owl will only stand for her and won’t even stand for the people who clean it’s cage and handle it all the time. I think she was trying to stress to me that this owl just standing there was a very odd thing for it to do. Today after Science Class, K told Sis that the owl hasn’t been the same since. I guess she’s not eating as much and won’t even stand for K now. It looks like my daughter and this owl have spoiled each other with some kind of weird bond. Thankfully (for both of them) Sis will get to see the owl (Athena) every Friday when she volunteers at the Wildlife Rescue with her older brother. I’ll fill you in on that too but it’s a whole nother post!

0 comments: