Thursday, July 26, 2007

Finally, A Field Trip!!

Last week we finally went on our first field trip in a long time. Unfortunately, my health puts quite a damper on things pretty regularly but when we were offered the chance to attend with our new homeschool group I didn't care how I felt, we were going!

The group down here is small but very nice. I met several really nice women and my kids even made a few friends as well. Sis made lots of friends actually and they've all been calling each other ever since. Big B was the only person his age there but luckily we had a teen girl for a tour guide so they at least had music they could talk about. Lil Man made a new little girlfriend and all of us thought it was so cute watching them walk around holding hands. Yes, at the age of almost 5 he is already a ladie's man. I'm in trouble!

Our field trip was to a place called Wildlife West in Edgewood. Wildlife West is a wildlife preserve and "enhanced zoo," that is nonprofit and run completely by volunteers. The best part is that most of their volunteers are kids under the age of 18! It's great to see all that these kids have built and done with their own two hands.

Our tour guide, Karrie, was very good and did a wonderful job telling everyone about the animals. The kids got to see mountain lions, a black bear, birds of prey, and lots more. After we ate lunch in the pavillion the kids were taken on a tractor ride around the property and then it was time to go.

All in all we were there for about three hours and between the intense heat of the day and all the walking I was one wiped out mama by the time we were finished. I was quite proud of my older two kids because thanks to their time at the Wildlife Sanctuary they were able to help the tour guide with even more info on the birds.

The lady who leads the homeschool group and I have been talking and I think we're probably going to be able to come up with alot of future plans for this group like a Teen Group, field trips, tours, swimming dates, and all kinds of good stuff. I look forward to helping Theresa make this a great group and with all the great moms I met last week, I think that will be very easy.

5 comments:

marye said...

It is great when kids can be involved like that...we used to do homeschool groups until I had too many kids to make it relaxing. :/
thanks for the comment on my blog. :)

Jo said...

LOL, I can totally understand. There are a few women in our group with 5, 6, and 7 kids and those poor gals just look so tired! I can't even keep up with my 4 1/2 year old so moms of many are truly amazing!

Melissa Markham said...

Sounds like great field trip! It is wonderful to find a group that you click with! Have a great year!

LBG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LBG said...

It was a great field trip and I thank you again for taking us I made ALOT of new friends.It was so much fun I hope we can go on a family field trip too some time soon so everyone can get away from everything and just spend time together.I love you and good night.