Saturday, July 7, 2007

Yes, No, Maybe?

Over the last few weeks the kids and myself have been considering whether or not we want to continue with homeschooling for another year. So many ideas and plans for last year that just never came to fruitation. Can I really give these kids what they need when I'm the only parent in the house who is for homeschooling? Am I helping or hurting these kids by having them learn at home? Should someone like me even be doing this?

So many questions with so many answers but of course, never the right one.

Big B wants to continue homeschooling so he can do the Dual Program at the college and still have his freedom. The only problem is that Big B wants to play football and that isn't going to happen unless he is in public school. :( As he put it "So I can go play football and get a crappy education or I can not play football and get a good one?" and he is pretty much right. Playing football is his dream though and I don't want to see him lose that. I'm a perfect example of what happens to a person when they give up on dreams and life in general. I want more for my kids.

Sis still just can't understand that if she goes back to public school she most likely won't be in the 7th grade. She fiddled around all year and truly learned next to nothing (even on an unschooling level she picked nothing up) so now if she wants to start junior high next month she's going to have to work for it. Over a year's worth of learning in less than a month. Of course, the only reason she wants to go to public school is because all her "friends" (I put that in quotes because they're actually spoiled, rude, and bitchy) on our block are PS kids. What she's not getting is that she won't be in class with any of them and going back just to hang out really isn't going to work.

I feel like my daughter has just already given up and if I try to help her she fights me and then all we do is fight. Definately not the relationship I wanted to have.

MonkeyBoy is excited to be starting "Kindergarten" this year. If he was in public school he would still be a preschooler because his birthday is in November but I printed up several "What Your Preschooler Should Know" type lists and he has covered everything on them so there's no sense in doing it for another year. He's the only one of the three that I feel like I won't screw up if I homeschool him. I guess it's just because I can start from the beginning with him whereas the other two were in 4th and 9th grade when we started.

So that's it for us right now. Just trying to decide what we're doing and figuring out the new "year". I do know that if we homeschool again this year we will do better and have more fun than in the past. Me being sick is no excuse and I really need to learn to adapt.

7 comments:

Kymberlyn said...

More likely than not I am going to homeschool my son next year. I have quite a few reservations as to what kind of teacher I will be. I don't know that I will be able to keep my son on task. Consequently I have been considering doing a virtual school rather than a true home school scenario.

In Ohio you can sign up through a virtual charter school and be enrolled in a program called k12. You can visit them at www.k12.com. If you sign up for the school through a state charter school the program is free. Your kids would still do coursework, take tests etc with the guidance of a state licensed teacher, but the work is done online. They send you a computer, remiburse for internet and the provide you with textbooks and art supplies etc. Just thought I would pass it along. It might be something worth looking into.

indianshawls said...

nice blog

Theresa said...

Tough choices. I'll give you my opinion, for what it's worth. Feel free to ignore it since you don't really know me after all.
Sounds like Sis wants to go to school for all the wrong reasons. She obviously doesn't have the maturity to make this kind of decision for herself, so you can feel free to make it for her. If going to school means hanging out with inappropriate friends,plus being a grade behind (and thus being socially labeled as "the dumb kid", deserved or not),then it just isn't worth it, IMHO. Sounds like she just needs you to take charge and say "this is what we're going to do.Lose the attitude."
Big B on the other hand is old enough, and seems to have put enough thought into it, that his opinions should hold a lot of weight. The fact that he sees the problems with both options shows maturity. The way I see it you have two choices. One, let him stay home for school and help him to find a new dream other than football. Or two, let him go to school and pursue that dream, and help him to realize that he CAN get a good education despite the cruddy schools. He will just need to take responsibility for educating himself, with your help, outside school hours.And honestly, that never stops, even for old farts like us!LOL!
Anyway, that's my humble opinion, take it or leave it.
Good luck, dear. I don't envy your situation.

Jo said...

Kym- I checked after you commented and they don't have the k12 charter thing through the state. :( Thank you very much for the idea though. It was definately worth a try. Also, a blog you should DEFINATELY visit is Theresa's because it is one of my all time favorite blogs and she has alot of great ideas and info to help.

Theresa- girl, you know I still want to be you when I grow up! So I definately value your opinion and thank you very much for your comment. I think you said "out loud" what I've been thinking but I was afraid maybe I was just being bias you know? Hearing someone else say the same thing lets me know that I really am thinking about what's best for the kids and not just what I want. Thanks girl.

Tricia said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. Well, coming from a teacher of 16 years, I do see the pros and cons of both public/private school and homeschooling. In my church family, be it small, a lot of families homeschool. Three of us send our kids to school. As teachers it is hard trying to teach with all the discipline problems these days and the kids that do well do so because of the home advantage they have. We all know that. I know it has to be tough for you but, you will make the right decision. I will keep you in my prayers.

cooper said...

I won't be much help. I don't have kids or even know exactly how old your kids are. My very old first boyfriend who happens to help me with my Darfur blog, was home schooled through ninth grade as were all his brothers and sisters. They all entered public school in ninth grade mainly because they all played either soccer or football competitively.

John graduated Brown last year and his brother will graduate BC next year. I don't think going into public school hurt them the base was there.

'EF' said...

It's a tough one. I can see that if my daughter ever chose to go to school it definitely wouldn't be for the lessons..she might choose to go for the 'hanging out' thing..which is so much of a bad reason to choose to go to school. Plus, all that studying in such a short space of time sounds impossible..and I do not use that word very often. But at the end of the day, miracles are possible...and if your daughter really wants to go to school I guess that she will make it happen...and in doing so could find great strengths :)